Monday, October 18, 2010

Wooing the crowd


Buskers are everywhere in Europe but for the most part we have found them to be fairly rude and demanding.  Many get upset if you stop to watch them for more than five seconds without throwing a wad of money their way and others get cranky when you try to take their photo. Which makes the reporter in me VERY mad, because I know that since they are on a public street I can take as many photos of them as I like...

However during a visit to Sacre Coeur I came across the guy pictured above who not only brought a smile to my face but restored my faith in humanity.

Rather than turn away from the camera or shout obscenities at me and other tourists -- something we have seen quite a few musicians and street performers do -- this man approached the camera playfully and was full of smiles.

He liked to make music, pure and simple.  And he liked to entertain his audience and make people smile. Any money he made in the process was a bonus. With this positive attitude and winning smile it was hardly surprising that the crowds loved him.

Oh, and Sacre Coeur was pretty impressive too, even the pigeons thought so...



No comments:

Post a Comment